Homeowners Insurance

If you are like most Americans, your home is probably the largest purchase you’ll ever make. Having the right homeowners insurance policy can protect your most valuable asset.

Getting the right coverage in place doesn’t have to be complicated. At MetzWood, we make it easy to get the proper protection for your home, apartment, condo, and more. With a short phone call, we can find the most competitively priced options to suit your needs.

couple at home

Keep in Mind

  • Your policy should cover the cost of completely rebuilding your home at current construction costs.

  • All policies have certain sub-limits for items that are likely to be stolen. Do you need extra coverage for your valuable items?

  • Have you protected your family by covering your mortgage with inexpensive Term Life Insurance?

  • Are you covered if you operate a home based business?

  • Know the difference between Actual Cash Value and Replacement Cost for your personal property. Which does your home policy cover?

  • Ensure you take advantage of all of the discounts you are eligible for by reviewing Auto and Umbrella Insurance as well.

  • If you live in a flood prone area, you may need Flood Insurance to supplement your Homeowners Insurance policy.

"I sent Tracy an email requesting a homeowners insurance binder and received her response with the binder within minutes. Excellent!"

- Alan M.




Q: When should I start repairs to my home?

A: If your home has been damaged, it is always best to refrain from beginning repairs right away. Even minor repairs can cover up damage and make it difficult for an insurance adjuster to determine a fair estimate of the repair costs.

Speak to us first. We can guide you in the right direction to minimize damage while ensuring the adjuster can get an accurate estimate of what repairs will be necessary.

Be sure to photograph and document damage, and only make repairs necessary for safety and/or to prevent further loss.

Q: What should I do if my home has been burglarized?

A: First, make sure that you and your family are safe, and then immediately call the police. The police will have you complete a report with all of the important information from the situation that they can gather. Be sure to complete this report to the best of your ability, as it is a necessary step in filing a claim and will help expedite the process. Next, be sure to create a detailed list of each item that was lost, stolen, or damaged, as well as their estimated values. Make sure to have this ready when you contact your insurance company.

Q: When should I receive a damage estimate?

A: We recommend that you obtain a damage estimate before filing a claim. Once you’ve received an estimate, give us a call to discuss your options. We’ll also be happy to go over your policy with you and check if your estimate is above your deductible.

Q: What Is a deductible and how does it work?

A: A deductible is the amount of money that you will need to pay before your insurance policy begins to cover the costs of repairs. This prevents extremely small claims from being filed since insurance should be used for larger emergencies. For example, if your home deductible is $1,000 and you have $10,000 in damages, you will pay $1,000 to the repairing contractor, and the insurance company will pay the other $9,000.

If you would like to learn more about deductibles, give us a call at (518) 392-5161.

Q: Will owning a specific dog breed affect my insurance policy?

A: A large majority of liability claims are dog bite claims. This can make it difficult to find the proper insurance coverage if you own what is known as a “restricted” breed. Many insurance carriers either will not insure you or won’t provide coverage for dog bites by one of these breeds. Restricted breeds include but are not limited to Pitbulls, Rottweilers, Akitas, Wolf Hybrids, Chows, Bull/Staffordshire Terriers, and others.

If you own one of these breeds or have any questions about how owning a dog may affect your liability coverage, please call us at (518) 392-5161.

Q: How do I cancel a policy?

A: We recognize that you may want to look into other policies, or maybe you recently sold your home. Understandably, you would not want to continue making payments on a policy that is no longer right for you or is no longer needed.

Give us a call at (518) 392-5161. We can certainly help you with policy cancellation, and if you are looking for a new policy, we would be happy to help you with that as well.

Q: What happens if my mortgage company changes?

A: If your mortgage company has changed, simply give us a call to let us know. This happens frequently, but most mortgage companies will not inform insurance carriers when they make a switch. It is, however, very important that we have the correct mortgage information on the insurance policy, so your insurance does not get interrupted.

We can make this transition seamless and easy; give us a call today at (518) 392-5161.



Start Your Proposal